Monday, February 7, 2011

Here comes the paint

Today, I had a stab at painting the frame with the first layer of primer. Firstly I had to sand down the frame with some smooth sandpaper as over the last few days the frame picked up a bit of rust due to the dampness in the shop. After that, I cleaned the frame with a cloth and some thinner so that the primer would adhere properly to the frame. Next came shaking the can of primer for about one minute and then getting some gloves on so as not to end up with hands covered with grey paint. Gabrielle then showed me how to apply the paint onto the frame. Confident short bursts from the can of primer to avoid dribbling of the paint and keeping the motion fluid helped in getting a nice even coat of primer all over the frame. The whole process took about one hour as I was taking my time and had to wait for the paint to dry.I then got working on the underside of the frame as I had it on a box in the hallway, with the door propped open so that I didn't die(or get high) from the paint fumes.
In the end, I was quite pleased with the result as the primer was uniform all over the frame and there was only one slight imperfection which will be easily corrected with some sandpaper tomorrow before the next coat of primer is applied.


Tomorrow, I hope to go to All City Records in Temple Bar to buy the spray can paint (Montana 94) that I will be using to colour the frame. I have decided to go with a light blue paint with orange and black accents around the frame as an tribute to the Porsche 917 from the 1970's with the Gulf Oil livery. I have found a couple of examples on the net and it involves a lot of work but the end result is really cool from what I have seen. I know it will not be to the taste of a lot of people, but the colour scheme speaks to me as I am a big racing fan and I think that livery is quite iconic. Let's hope it turns out the way I image it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment