Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Forks, more primer and a paint scheme

Yesterday Gareth gave me a set of forks for that fit the bicycle. I forgot to take a picture of it but here it is in all its glory.

Gareth is a total legend for hooking me up with these forks as I had tried pretty much every fork that was in the shop and none of them would fit on the bicycle frame as they were either too long or too short. But this one was just right like Goldilocks said. On top of that, these forks came with a pair of cantilever brakes which are superior to the original ones on the bike.
After cleaning up the forks and taking off the brakes, I sanded it down with two different grits of sandpaper until the lacquer was off. Then I used masking tape to tape off the parts that I didn't want primer on and got to spraying the forks with two layers of primer. It was a relatively easy and quick job as I had got lots of practice from the day before using the can of primer on the frame. The end result was a pair of forks with two coats of primer and no blemishes that I left to dry out on the line that we hang the frames.

Also today I put another coat of primer on the frame and the process was a bit easier than yesterday. Managed not to mess up and the frame looks ready to be painted. I left it to dry overnight on the hang line along with the other frames that have been painted in the shop.

Before I went to the shop today, I stopped by All City Records (http://shop.all-cityrecords.com/) in Temple Bar to pick up some spray paint for the bicycle. Montana-94 was recommended to me by the guys in Rothar as they use it regularly to paint bicycle frames. I ended up getting three cans for the colour scheme that I intend on putting onto the bike. I got Mandarina(Orange), Azul Perseo(Blue) and Negro(Black) and had a nice chat with the sales guy there who helped me get the right colours from the picture I had on the computer. I forgot to get his name and have to thank him for helping me out as I wouldn't have able to get the right colours had he not been there to lend me a hand.
The cans of Montana 94 are below and I think they look pretty cool.

The colour scheme that I have decided for the bicycle is based on the 1970's Porsche with the Gulf Oil livery. Hopefully, the end result of me painting the bike frame will be something like this:


I know it will not be exactly like that but I am hoping with a lot of work, it will turn out as close as I can get to the above picture without the Baum logo on the underside of the frame and the inside of the forks. Reckon with a lot of patience and masking tape, it will end up looking semi-decent. Bring on the first coat of paint tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. That colour scheme is amazing man.
    the blue and orange is great.

    ReplyDelete