Saturday, April 16, 2011

Quick update

So, I had the bike completed for over 2 month now. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a proper ride yet apart from some quick ones around the Phoenix Park. This was mainly due to the fact that the handlebars were too big for me and that I wasn't confident enough to ride the bike without being able to use the brake comfortably and safely.
I ordered new handlebars and a stem from www.Allterraincycles.co.uk. These were the Bontrager SSR OS Stem and the Bontrager Race VR-S Road Bar. The stem was a short 60mm stem to accommodate me better on the frame and the handlebars were the short drop handlebars with a short reach (70mm) I found out about these from trying out the girlfriends new bike which was a Trek Lexa and it had the same handlebars on it. I fitted them last night on the bike along with a quill adapter which was bought from Joe Dalys Cycle in Dumdrum where David was extremely helpful in acquiring this item as it was a bit of an unusual size. Took the bike out for a quick spin today in Phoenix park again and it felt just right like Goldilocks would say. I am very pleased with the result and feel that the bike is finally the way I expected it to be.


Here is a quick picture of the new handlebars:


More updates to follow as I will be bringing the bicycle down to Cork this coming week and will need to find new routes over there. If anyone has any suggestions for Cork please let me know. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment